Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Queen Bee

About a month ago Macie took first place in her school spelling bee. She competed against 30 fourth and fifth graders who had each won their respective class bees. She will go on to compete in the St Louis Post Dispatch spelling bee on March 7. If she advances to the next round, she would compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee(I'm assuming they do a Missouri version first). We are so proud of her but most importantly she is proud of herself. I can't figure out how to post the dvd. I won't be winning any awards for that!

There is a funny story that goes along with this. When I was in sixth grade I took second place in our school spelling bee. The girl who came in first was so horrible to me. I remember my classmates making fun of me for getting second as well. Anyway, my mother, being the person that she was, made me go and support this girl at the next competition. I remember sitting there and just seething and being so angry at my mom I wanted to scream. I also remember knowing the word that knocked her out of the competition(I don't remember it now.) Obviously, as a parent I can see what my mom was doing. As an eleven year old, it was dreadful! So glad Macie doesn't have to endure this kind of parenting. Can you imagine, a parent making their child do the right thing and be the bigger person? Thanks Mom!

PS-I forgot to mention she was the first fourth grader to win in over 10 years!!!!

No comments: