Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Silence and a clean house!

Silence and a clean house. These are two things that I have come to cherish at this stage of my life for obvious reasons. They rarely occur around here and almost never at the same time!! I do love the sounds of our full house with laughter, tears. The constant hum of the washing machine, dryer and dish washer. Wii games, computer games, phone conversations and arguments. Along with that come the many piles. Piles of clean and dirty laundry, school papers, artwork, shoes, coats, sports equipment, diapers, toys, mail, bills, --it really is a never ending cycle. On a rare day like today, I am caught up for the most part. The house is orderly(not spotless but presentable) and quiet. Macie and Chase are at school. Owen is spending the day at Gymquarters(where he broke his arm last year!) Avery is napping. I have the house all to myself to do whatever I want. I hear the sounds of the dryer spinning clothes, Avery's monitor with her occasional sighs and moans, the delivery trucks going by outside. I am enjoying this rare moment of peace because I know it will only last another hour or so. It's crazy to think that our house used to be quiet all the time and it was a rare occasion for it to be filled with the sounds that I have grown so accustomed to. I'll sit and enjoy it until one by one the noises awaken and the crazies return and bring me back to my reality.

3 comments:

Melissa Balda said...

On those few occasions when my house is silent, I walk around aimlessly wondering what to do!!

Molly said...

For as much as I love the noises, there something magical about being alone and "somewhat caught up" in your own house. I wouldn't want it that way all the time, but a little does now and then does wonders. Hope you enjoyed those few moments!

Mary Lynn Koetter said...

Hi Susan - Just read this blog and it made me sad to realize I have a quiet house all the time. Bryan went off to A&M this year and Shelley is living in San Diego for the time being. I would give anything to have the noise back, friends over, hectic schedule and even the fighting! I have quiet all the time now and I miss the rucous! Your kids are beautiful. Enjoy them while you can. It goes by way too fast.

Love,
Your Cuz,
Mary Lynn