Monday, May 12, 2008

MV7

Friday we held our 10th annual MV7 golf tournament. Stew started the golf tournament after the death of his good friend, Milton Vaughn. The goal is to raise money in Milton's memory and donate to local children's charities that don't generally receive funding from big time donors. He also likes to see the money go directly for a purpose, something the kids will actually benefit from. I am just so proud that he has continued to keep this going. Many times it would have been much easier for him to quit than to take the time and energy required to put it on. He has remained positive and focused and I see no end in sight. I am constantly amazed at the man I married and feel so fortunate that he seizes the opportunity to give back.

Our children come to the tournament every year also. It really is one of their most favorite things we do. Not only do they enjoy it because it's a great time to see so many family and friends but they also get to see their dad in action. I watch them as Stew is talking to the crowd and they are grinning and soaking up every word. Macie was brought to tears after Stew talking about his tournament morning ritual of looking at pics of Milt and having a good cry. I think it is so important for them to see him in a role other than dad. Who knows, someday maybe they'll take the reigns and allow Stew the opportunity to sit back, relax and enjoy a day of golf.

1 comment:

lizziemarie said...

That is so cool and if I played golf I would come. Where does the $ go and may we give something to the cause starting this year? I feel like I should have offered to contribute long ago but somehow it hasn't crossed my mind until now. Way to go Uncle Dort!