Sunday, April 6, 2008

I saw GOD today


After a very busy day of flag football games and practices, swim practice, playing on the trampoline, Chase's "official" friend birthday party and playing outside, the Parker kids were exhausted. They settled in the basement for some tv time. They asked if they could all sleep down there together. Initially, I almost said no but my fun side(which my children think doesn't exist) decided to say "YES!" They were so excited to have a slumber party together. Owen and Chase found their spots on either end of the sectional and Macie curled up on the smaller sleeper sofa. I thought for sure it would take awhile for them to settle but the days activities had caught up with them. They were all sound asleep by 9:45!!! Not like the slumber parties I remember!

They awoke this morning, actually slept in a bit for them. We had breakfast, showered and I took them to church. Stew hasn't been feeling well so he stayed home with Avery. After church, I rewarded them with McDonald's. It's rare that I can get through church having heard the entire sermon so I felt they deserved a treat! We brought it home, had some lunch and headed out back. We have had two days of glorious Spring weather! Sun shining, blue sky and good moods! They started a sticker club. They collected all the stickers they could find and put them together in binders. They played on the swings and in the tree house. They jumped on the trampoline and no fights broke out. They actually seemed to be enjoying each other! They shot hoops for awhile, colored with chalk, brought out Chase's new marker set and played in the woods and the sandbox. There were plenty of opportunities for them to fight, argue, bicker and pick. For whatever reason, the stars were aligned and our fung shui was in order. We had a great day just spending time together. It's so marvelous when you can just be together and really enjoy it. I love being with my family but it is not always so joyful. I seem to spend much of my time breaking up fights and mending hurt feelings or scraped knees. It was so wonderful to just listen to them laughing and playing.

The sermon today was about God always being right in front of you. You don't always notice him but he's there. We seem to only look to him when we are struggling or question his presence when we are down. Today was a good reminder that he is there if you take the time to look. I could see him in the smiles, hear him in the laughter and feel him all around us. I just hadn't taken the time to notice.

1 comment:

Melissa Balda said...

Taking time to smell the roses and enjoying the moment - thanks for the reminder. I do love moments like these. Its quite incredible and I swear, my heart burts with pride and love witnessing such moments. thanks for sharing.